Seeking Parents of Unsupported Kids – The Lost Children

I can’t actually be the only person in the country with an unsupported child can I?

Can You Help Me?

The Citizens Advice Bureau are considering taking IRD to task and are looking for similar issues to mine from other families around New Zealand.

The information they require is minimal however they are seeking cases like mine where a blended family with one (or more) non-biological child in the home is no longer supported – the child or children were considered dependants prior to 31st March 2015 but from 1st April they are no longer dependants on either partners assessments for child support.

My situation is this:

  • From 1st April 2015 my daughter was not taken into account in my partners assessment for Child Support (she was prior to 1st April).
  • Her biological father is not a NZ Citizen, does not reside in any reciprocal child support country (eg., Australia) and DOES NOT PAY ANY CHILD SUPPORT and never has.
  • We are not entitled to any assistance because for all other legislation we are considered a family.
  • Our household lost $400 a month, that may not seem like much to many but it is a lot to us – effectively it is our grocery bill.
  • An administrative review was undertaken by my partner – there was no change, my daughter is still not considered a dependent.
  • There is no way for me to obtain support for my child therefore she (and I) are dependant on my partners income.
  • IRD legislation ignores our situation completely and the fact that we are now $400 worse off every month.

Citizens advice suggest perhaps these scenarios:

1. Blended families where one biological parent does not live in the country (or a reciprocal country) and DOES NOT pay child support.

2. A blended family where one biological parent has “disappeared” and therefore DOES NOT pay child support and there is no other assistance or benefit available.

3. Blended families where a biological parent is deceased and the family/other parent/children are not entitled to any benefit assistance.

4. Or any case where because of the legislative changes there is now no assistance for one or more children in a blended family unit.

NOTE: If your blended family unit is entitled to Working For Families Tax Credits or any other benefit or reduction then this request does not apply.

If any of these situations are similar to yours please help me give them the information they need to push our joint concerns.

Provide your name, phone number, email address and a brief description of what your situation is.

Your information will not be used for any purpose other than to convince the Citizens Advice Bureau that these situations are real.

They may want to contact you and you will have all rights to provide no further information or to alternatively help state your case.

Thank you all for reading this. I can’t believe I am the only person in New Zealand that has this situation.

Tracey Durham

Featured Image Credit

(Visited 557 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.